Yesterday I envisioned making fudgy gluten-free brownies that were bursting with dark chocolate, walnuts, and topped with chocolate chunks.
Last night, the dream came true. Plus they turned out so delicious, that I just had to share my creation with you!
The best thing about these brownies are that they are super easy to make, they are Vegan – Paleo – Gluten Free – Dairy Free, and 100% naturally sweetened. No highly refined sugar in this recipe. Which makes these brownies an awesome treat to have every now and then!
I highly recommend a glass of almond milk with these bad boys.
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons water, whisk together, set aside 5 mins)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- ¾ cup blanched almond flour
- ½ cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chopped and halved walnuts
- ¼ cup vegan dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (163 C) and lightly grease an 8x8-inch (or similar size) baking dish with coconut oil, then line with parchment paper (the oil helps the parchment paper stick to the sides).
- Prepare flax eggs in a small mixing bowl, set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl add melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk thoroughly.
- Add flax eggs and whisk more until combined. Then add baking powder, sea salt, and cacao powder, whisk.
- Add almond flour and fold in with spatula. Then add vegan dark chocolate chips and fold in with spatula.
- Then add walnuts (optional). Fold in with spatula, leaving a few walnuts for topping.
- Add the thick batter to the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Add additional toppings if desired, such as dark chocolate chunks and walnuts.
- Bake for 30-32 minutes, or until the edges appear dry and fluffy.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes preferably 45 minutes - 1 hour (the longer they cool, the less sticky they are to cut.) I set mine in the fridge to speed up the cooling process. Cut with a sharp knife into preferred serving size (I cut mine into 9).
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or room temperature. Enjoy!